23 September, 2007

23 September 2007

Greetings from BYU!

Well, it's been an interesting couple of weeks. I took the GRE on the first of the month, and am reassured by my boss that my scores are good enough (I'm still a little doubtful, but that may just be my own silly perfectionism kicking in). Not a terrribly exciting experience; but I'm still debating whether I 'want' to retake it. Not inclined to give ETS another $140(??!).

I'm just starting my last fall semester at BYU, and taking some very interesting, albeit taxing (and there are only 13 credits' worth...!), classes: Humanities of Asia, Mayan Art and Culture (one of two capstone courses for my major), Greek New Testament (John, and possibly Mark if Prof. Duckwitz decides we've got it too easy), selections from Herodotus (the 'Father of History,' naturally in the original Greek), and private organ lessons (last requirement for my music minor). I'm also auditing Turkish (!!!), which I'm really enjoying; a classmate and I (who also happens to be a former colleague from Special Collections) are also helping the professor's wife practice/learn English (which means we also get to practice our two words of Turkish).

Since June, I've been serving on the Temple Committee in my ward; unfortunately, though, I haven't gotten a chance to do much of anything yet (bishop said there was a guy in his ward who had wads and wads of family names to be done, but said individual has yet to get back to him with the details. Guess I should have just scheduled things anyway. Oh well.) At the beginning of the semester, though, I was called as the Enrichment counselor in one of the two Relief Societies in our ward (there are twice as many women as men in our ward, so they decided to split us into two sections so that every sister would have a chance to have a calling). I have yet to be released from the Temple Committee (replacement still pending). The day my presidency was sustained, we were asked to speak in sacrament meeting the following week, and, amusingly enough, I seem to be a lot more memorable to the ward now - might have something to do with the fact that I dragged my little obsession into it.....

I bet that's more than most of you have 'heard' me say my entire life.....

Love you all!

No comments: