07 September, 2007

"Tidal Tomato Wave"

Hey, Bodies! Kilroy was here! So were tomatoes; taught a canning mini-class at the church kitchen twice this past week, so I have one more case of the things in the basement hall. Steve and Maurine (he has a beard again, and looked better to me than he has in a while) seemed to enjoy the garden corn and tomatoes while they were in town. But then they got a double dose 'cause Jared and Margie Brown had them over for dinner one night after a bunch of Jorgensens had congregated at Aunt Eleanor's one Sunday evening. Jared brought lots of his garden produce to Aunt Eleanor's place, and was distributing it liberally among the visitors (squash, odd-looking Armenian cucumbers, corn, and the like). Last Monday, Dad and I went with Steve and Maurine to the Church History Museum and the Family History Library; I think they enjoyed the day. Your Dad and I worked in the yard week before last, and cleaned the carpets; I did the livingroom and hall, and he spent over an hour doing the stairs for me. I really appreciated the help, and it was fun to work together. As I was unloading the stuff last night from the car after the second canning mini-class, I heard a noise in the pine tree next door (by the cars). I looked up the tree in time to see a small raccoon peering down at me. I hope it won't get into the apples still on the tree; I've got enough to do some more applesauce this fall. We already picked all the corn; they're notorious for going after that. Anybody need some prunes? How about cherry tomatoes? Enough with the garden talk. Love to you all. It was great to get together at the airport, if only for a shorter visit.

Oops, I forgot.

I'll probably do this alot; sorry. Last Sunday evening, Steve and Maurine and your Dad and I went to visit Jeff and Robin White. They now live at about 4400 South and 4100 West. Robin told us that they are expecting child 3 in February. They have a cute 4-year-old named Rebekah and a cute 2-year-old named Joseph, both of whom were very well behaved, I thought, while we were there. And then we found out from Maurine the following Tuesday after they returned to Livermore that Ruth Bragg is engaged, to the particular Justin whom we met on one trip north last spring for Ruth's graduation from USU in aerospace mechanics (or such like; she works on airplanes). Ruth and Justin were sitting on the couch poring over a book on airplanes for at least an hour and a half while we were there. He's about 6' 6'' tall, kind of a "gentle giant". (My father gave me a book when I was a child entitled, The Gentlest Giant and Other Pleasant Persons.) I believe he lives in the area with his family, like she does, but I don't remember what he does for work. Ran across a word in Talmage I hadn't heard in a long time: trenchant. Had to look it up. 'Bye, Y'all.

No comments: